Wednesday, February 29, 2012

....

I've been eking through a few books this month, doing just enough not to feel like a total deadbeat but too little to write any kind of substantial review. It's been that kind of rainy season, I'm sorry to say. I dropped the ball on Black History Month (and how regrettably so after The Help's success at the Oscars!), missed out on writing some Valentine's Day Poetry, and after watching a blithering Billy Crystal this past Sunday, realize I also ignored the chance to write about all of the fantastic books the Oscar nominated films are derived from -- Hugo, Warhorse, The Descendants, Moneyball, My Week With Marilyn, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, Albert Nobbs: A Novella, and etc.

But you know what?
I'm not sorry. Not really.

I had a good month. I relaxed. I worked my way through Ian McEwan's glorious novel, Atonement (another Academy Award Winner), and listened to a couple of fantastic audiobooks: The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta (a 2011 NY Times, NPR, and Washington Post Notable Book of the year) and Road Dogs by Elmore Leonard. For me, both captured what's essential about the audio book: they were easy to listen to--read by great readers--and effortlessly exciting in such a way to keep you sitting in your car long after you've pulled into your driveway, trying to finish out the last few discs. It doesn't get any better than that.

Next month, I'll be better, with Reviews of NON-FICTION titles by Douglas Brinkley, Edward O. Wilson, and John Lanchester... I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment